Sunday, June 26, 2011

Same old same old...

How many times have you been told, "Don't change, I like you just the way you are"?

Don't change.

It's almost foreboding.  *insert evil voice* "Don't change.  Something terrible will happen if you do."

I hate changes.  I do.  This is why I still look the same as I did in high school.  Why I still work in retail.  I hate changes.  Familiarity is comforting.

Until the day I got my hair straightened.

I never in a million years would think something as simple as a flat iron could alter my life.  I let my hair go curly over the weekend and realized something...

I'm sick of my curly hair! 

I've had curly hair my entire life, with the exception of my first year.  I was bald as a cue ball...go figure.  So I rid myself of my curls...and I love it!  Plus I'm starting to show the results from going to the gym.  I'm not losing weight, but my clothes fit better.  I feel really good about myself for the first time in...ever?  I don't know.  Is this a midlife crisis?  A midlife change?  A midlife epiphany?

I'm tired of the "old" me.  The frumpy, wearing t-shirts and jeans me.  I want to channel my inner Taylor Swift...I want to be a girl for the first time in my life.  I think it's because I'm hitting my mid-forties.  I don't look it, most days I don't feel it...and I sure as hell don't act it!  I know my youth is fading.  It's reality...and I realize that.

I want to go shopping for pretty stuff.  Maybe a skirt, maybe some new makeup.  Maybe a pretty pair of shoes. 

It's my time to shine...finally.

2 comments:

  1. I wanna go shopping with you! I wanna do your makeup! I wanna do your hair! I wanna do....everything! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've always shined - you're the nicest person I've ever met! And one of the funniest, too. I'm happy to know you're happy with yourself, though, t-shirts or skirts. <3

    ReplyDelete